|Some Interesting Facts posted by ryan
links::informative | Monday, Dec 20th 2004, 12:06:03 PM
A lot of interesting facts such as
- The phrase "rule of thumb" is derived from and old English law which stated that you couldn't beat your wife with anything wider than your thumb.
- Shakespeare invented the word "assassination" and "bump."
- Marilyn Monroe had six toes on one foot.
- If you keep a Goldfish in the dark room, it will eventually turn white.
- Women blink nearly twice as much as men.
- Right handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left handed people do.
- The sentence "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" uses every letter in the English Alphabet.
- A rhinoceros horn is made of compacted hair.
- It is impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.
- The giant squid has the largest eyes in the world.
- In England, the Speaker of the House is not allowed to speak.
- The longest one-syllable word in the English language is "screeched."
- All of the clocks in the movie Pulp Fiction are stuck on 4:20.
- No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver or purple.
- Almonds are members of the peach family.
- The youngest pope was 11 years old.
- The world's youngest parents were 8 and 9 and lived in China in 1910.
- A snail can sleep for 3 years.
- China has more English speakers than the United States.
- The shortest war in history was between Zanzibar and England in 1896. Zanzibar surrendered after 38 minutes.
- A polar bear's skin is black. Its fur is not white, but actually clear.
- The electric chair was invented by a dentist.
- The human heart creates enough pressure when it pumps out to the body to squirt blood 30 feet.
- Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour.
- On average, people fear spiders more than they do death.
- The strongest muscle in the body is the TONGUE
- The longest word in the English language is 1909 letters long and it refers to a distinct part of DNA.
- You can't kill yourself by holding your breath.
- Americans on the average eat 18 acres of pizza every day.
- Every time you lick a stamp, you're consuming 1/10 of a calorie.
- You know that you are more likely to be killed by a champagne cork than by a poisonous spider.
- There are two credit cards for every person in the United States.
- Cat's urine glows under a black light.
- Leonardo Da Vinci invented the scissors.
- In the last 4000 years, no new animals have been domesticated.
- Babies are born without knee caps. They don't appear until the child reaches 2-6 years of age.
- Nutmeg is extremely poisonous if injected intravenously.
- The most common name in the world is Mohammed.
- Michael Jordan makes more money from Nike annually than all of the Nike factory workers in Malaysia combined.
- One of the reasons marijuana is illegal today is because cotton growers in the 30s lobbied against hemp farmers-they saw it as competition.
- Only one person in two billion will live to be 116 or older.
- The name Wendy was made up for the book "Peter Pan."
- If you yelled for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days, you would have produced enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee.
- If you fart consistently for 6 years and 9 months, enough gas is produced to create the energy of an atomic bomb.
- Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing.
- In every episode of Seinfeld there is a Superman somewhere.
- The longest earthworm in the world was reported to exceed 150 ft. in length.
- The first time she signed an autograph as Marilyn Monroe, she had to ask how to spell her first name.
- In Rio de Janeiro there are more plastic surgeons than public health doctors.
- In November 2001 a swiss bank lost $100,000,000 because of a typing error. oops.
- Koalas sleep for 22 hrs a day.
- Japan leads the world in condom use. They're sold door to door by saleswomen.
- 15% of women change the toiletpaper before company comes over.
- "Amen" is recognized in more languages than any other.
- The highest rated t.v. program in Korea was "Jonie loves Chachie" because "Chachie" means penis in Korean.
- Only 32% of Americans can snap their fingers.
- You can't lick your elbow
- over 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow.
- Back in the mid to late 80's, an IBM compatible computer wasn't considered a hundred percent compatible unless it could run Microsoft's Flight Simulator.
- The first Ford cars had Dodge engines.
- If you have three quarters, four dimes, and four pennies, you have $1.19. You also have the largest amount of money in coins without being able to make change for a dollar.
- No NFL team which plays it's home games in a domed stadium has ever won a Superbowl.
- The first toilet ever seen on television was on "Leave It To Beaver".
- In the great fire of London in 1666 half of London was burnt down but only 6 people were injured.
- The only two days of the year in which there are no professional sports games (MLB, NBA, NHL, or NFL) are the day before and the day after the Major League All-Star Game.
- A crocodile can't stick it's tongue out.
- A shrimp's heart is in their head.
- People say "Bless you" when you sneeze because when you sneeze,your heart stops for a mili-second.
- It is physically impossible for pigs to look up into the sky.
- A pregnant goldfish is called a twit.
- Between 1937 and 1945 Heinz produced a version of Alphabetti Spaghetti especially for the German market that consisted solely of little pasta swastikas.
- More than 50% of the people in the world have never made or received a telephone call.
- Rats and horses can't vomit.
- If you sneeze too hard, you can fracture a rib. If you try to suppress a sneeze, you can rupture a blood vessel in your head or neck and die. If you keep your eyes open by force, they can pop out.
- Rats multiply so quickly that in 18 months, two rats could have over million descendants.
- Wearing headphones for just an hour will increase the bacteria in your ear by 700 times.
- If the government has no knowledge of aliens, then why does Title 14, Section 1211 of the Code of Federal Regulations, implemented on July 16, 1969, make it illegal for U.S. citizens to have any contact with extraterrestrials or their vehicles?
- 23% of all photocopier faults worldwide are caused by people sitting on them and photocopying their buttocks.
- In the course of an average lifetime you will, while sleeping, eat 70 assorted insects and 10 spiders.
- Most lipstick contains fish scales.
- Humans and Dolphins are the only species that have sex for pleasure.
- If you yelled for 8 years, 7months and 6 days, you would have producced enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee.
- Rubber bands last longer when refrigerated.
- Peanuts are one of the ingredients of dynamite.
- An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.
- Tigers have striped skin, not just striped fur.
- In most advertisements, the time displayed on a watch is 10:10.
- Al Capone's business card said that he was a used furniture dealer.
- The microwave was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube and a chocolate bar melted in his pocket.
- The average person falls asleep in seven minutes.
- There are 336 dimples on a regulation golf ball.
- In Chinese, the KFC slogan "finger lickin' good" comes out as "eat your fingers off."
- European women didn't wear underwear until the 1900s.
- We shed 40 pounds of skin in a lifetime. We drool more than three pints a day.
- Yo-yos were once used as weapons in the Philippines.
- A Russian woman gave birth to 69 children between 1725 and 1765. (She had 16 pair of twins, 7 sets of triplets, and 4 sets of quadruplets.) .
- Coca-Cola can be used as car oil.
- Mexico City sinks about 10 inches a year.
- Australian speak for going to the bathroom is, "Spending a penny."
- Girls see better than boys in the dark.
- An average person has 696 muscles; a caterpillar has more than 4,000.
- The typical bed houses 2 million dust mites. Yuck!
- Ancient Romans and Egyptians used crushed tadpoles mixed with oil as hair dye.
- Blue is the favourite colour of 80% of Americans.
- In Sri Lanka, when a person shakes his or her head from side to side, it means "yes."
- The largest chocolate chip cookie ever made contained 2.8 tons of chocolate.
- There are more chickens than people in the world.
- Everyday, 0.5% of the world visits a McDonald's.
- Children grow faster in the spring.
- Donald Duck comics were once banned in Finland because Donald doesn't wear pants.
- 85% of people killed by lightning are male.
- There are more telephones than people in Washington, D.C.
- We've eaten 400 billion Oreo's since they were first introduced in 1912.
- The Snicker's bar is the #1 selling candy sold in vending machines.
- Add up all the numbers on a roulette wheel and the sum is 666. .
- There are more plastic flamingos in the US than real ones.
- In Pakistan, it's rude to show your feet.
- The male praying mantis cannot copulate while its head is attached to its body. The female initiates sex by ripping the male's head off.
- Mosquito repellents don't repel. They hide you. The spray blocks the mosquito's sensors so they don't know you're there.
- Dentists have recommended that a toothbrush be kept at least 6 feet away from a toilet to avoid airborne particles resulting from the flush.
- The liquid inside young coconuts can be used as substitute for blood plasma.
- No piece of paper can be folded in half more than 7 times.
- Donkeys kill more people annually than plane crashes.
- You burn more calories sleeping than you do watching t.v.
- Venus is the only planet that rotates clockwise.
- Apples, not caffeine, are more efficient at waking you up in the morning.
- The plastic things on the end of shoelaces are called aglets.
- Walt Disney was afraid of mice.
- Pearls melt in vinegar.
- Thirty-five percent of the people who use personal ads for dating are already married.
- The three most valuable brand names on earth: Marlboro, Coca Cola, and Budweiser, in that order.
- Turtles can breathe through their butts.
- A rainbow can be seen only in the morning or late afternoon. It can occur only when the sun is 40 degrees or less above the horizon.
- A snail can have about 25,000 teeth.
- 40% of McDonald's profits come from the sales of Happy Meals.
- 35 MPH is the average speed most cars travel on interstate highways during peak morning and afternoon rush.
- 96% of a cucumber is water.
- A cat uses his whiskers to determine if a space is too small to squeeze through!
- A crocodile can't move his tongue.
- A dragonfly has a lifespan of twenty-four hours.*
- A duck's quack doesn't echo. No one knows why.
- A giraffe can clean its ears with its 21-inch tongue!
- A hummingbird weighs less than a penny!
- A "jiffy" is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.
- A kangaroo can't jump unless its tail is touching the ground.
- A monkey was once tried and convicted for smoking a cigarettes in Indiana.
- A starfish can turn its stomach inside out.
- A toothpick is the object most often choked on by Americans!
- A Virginia law requires all bathtubs to be kept out in the yards, not inside the houses.
- A whale's penis is called a dork.
- According to a British law passed in 1845, attempting to commit suicide was a capital offense. Offenders could be hanged for trying.
- Alexander Graham Bell, the inventor of the telephone, never phoned his wife or his mother. They were both deaf.
- Almost a quarter of the land area of Los Angeles is taken up by automobiles.
Comment Style: Threaded Ordered
Not Logged In
To access your control panel, please login.
If you do not have an account, please register.